Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

The storage locker




My father insisted that I go with him to see the storage locker they had rented. "What do you want me to see there?"
"Just come I want you to see where it is located."
We drove down to the large storage facility. My father wasn't sure where it was. "I've only been there once."
"Why do you have it?"
"We have too much stuff, so I want to move it out here. After I retired I bought a lot of clothes, but I haven't had a chance to wear them."
We reached the locker facility and walked through the maze of storage units, finally finding his door. I opened it, and in this small storage area were 4 plastic cartons. One had knitting yarn in it. One had undershirts, underwear and socks. There were two more that I didn't see. The rest of the space was empty.
He said that he was low on socks and took out a pair of socks.
"We plan to bring more down here, and help clear things up at home."
I didn't know what he meant, or if he even had any conception of the scope of the mess that consumed their house. For now he was paying $54 a month to keep yarn and underwear in storage.

1 comment:

  1. Good grief - how frustrating for you! But it does point to the disconnect your parents have from reality.

    ReplyDelete